I’ve started posting a weekly collection of blog posts, articles, podcasts, and books that I have found interesting, helpful, challenging, important, or funny. I don’t endorse everything I post, but I only post content I think is worth taking the time to consider. We all have to make choices about what content we “consume” each week, so I hope I can point you in directions that are worth your time.
Only a few to recommend this week
Blog Posts & Online Journals
- Comment, “Renewing the Church for the Sake of the World” – James K.A. Smith looks St. Augustine at the decline of the Roman Empire for a vision of what the church could look like today, a place of refuge and renewal for Christian and pagan alike.
- Comment, “Pastoral Care as Public Theology: A Conversation with Tim Keller” – James K.A. Smith interviews Tim Keller on a range of topics related to contemporary challenges to the church and its witness with a view towards renewal. A must read!
- Quartz, “Multi-Level Marketing companies like LuLaRoe are forcing people into debt and psychological crisis” – Alden Wicker explores the rise of MLM schemes like LuLaRoe, Rodan+Fields, and Jamberry and the effects they are having on individuals and communities.
- TGC, “Race, the Gospel, and the Moment” – Tim Keller speaks to the events in Charlottesville last weekend, denouncing racism and white supremacy and warning traditional and conservative Christians of the temptation fascism posses for some in our circles.
Online Newspapers & Magazines
- WSJ, “Seminaries Reflect Struggles of Mainline Churches” – Ian Lovett reports on the decline and closure of many mainline seminaries.
- Pass the Mic, “Bonus – Current Events: Charlottesville”– Hosts Tyler Burns and Jemar Tisby discuss the events of last weekend in Charlottesville as white nationalists demonstrated around a confederate monument scheduled for removal, counter protests followed, and violence against counter protesters left 1 killed and many others injured.